**UPDATE FOR 2020** If you’re looking for the latest reviews of brand new products released in 2020, we’ll be updating this post as we do our research and should be finished by the summer. Please make sure to check back then!
To me, there are few things better than spending a day with family and friends playing golf. Having golf in my life is great because I can de-stress when I have some free time.
Contrary to popular belief that golf is a lazy man’s sport, it actually requires a lot of walking and standing on your feet for several hours (depending on how many holes you’re playing).
According to an article published on “Harvard Health Publishing”, studies found that during a typical 18-hole round, a golfer may walk 4 miles, which is enough to count as exercise.
Other researchers found that walking while playing golf can also be beneficial to your heart health.
For that reason alone, leave the golf cart behind, get your push cart, grab yourself the most comfortable golf shoes, and enjoy a round of golf.
In this article, we’re going to be reviewing the following golf shoes:
Spikeless Golf Shoes
Spiked Golf Shoes
- FootJoy ICON
- Under Armour Spieth 3
- Adidas TOUR360 EQT BOA
- Nike Golf Tour Premiere
- New Balance NB Tour
How to Choose the Best Golf Shoes
Starting out with a great pair of shoes is an important step since the last thing most people want is to end up hobbling off the course with blistered feet. I would even argue that having a great pair of shoes is the second most important piece of equipment next to buying the perfect clubs.
Some people may want their golf shoes to feature a good set of spikes for the best traction and stability, or some may go for looks and seek out a stylish pair of golf shoes while others may see waterproof as the most appealing feature. Then there are those who don’t care what they look like or how they perform as long as they are comfortable and easy to walk around in while navigating the course.
And, let’s not forget the most important factor in buying anything… price. If you’re like most people, many individuals don’t want to spend a whole lot of money on golf shoes, they just want to purchase the cheapest shoes available so they’re not slipping around the course.
There’s nothing more true for golf shoes than the saying “you get what you pay for”. I view shoes as an investment in my comfort and I don’t want to spend money on something cheap that will end up breaking down quickly. I prefer to pay a few more bucks and get a great pair of golf shoes that will look, feel, and play better all while lasting much longer. So, truth is, buying a more high quality item is usually your best choice.
This section will help you learn about what to look for when shopping for golf shoes and also give you insight into the top 5 spiked and spikeless golf shoes that are available on the market today since buying the right shoes can mean the difference between having a great day on the course and dreading that you even went out.
Things to Look For When Shopping for Golf Shoes
For you beginners out there, yes, there are shoes made specifically for the game of golf to help you enjoy walking around the golf course while swinging away on a par three, four, or five and lowering your handicap.
Golf shoe manufacturers have done a great deal of research and development to find out exactly what helps make your feet comfortable during long walks at the course to ensure you feel great and play your best.
Good golf shoes are essential for comfort during long games and may be equipped with special spikes, uppers, soles, laces, materials, water-resistant technology, or other tech. Moreover, some golf shoes also come in the latest fashion styles and are available at affordable prices.
Fastening Methods: Alternatives to Traditional Laces
Most golf shoes still include the traditional shoelaces to secure them for a more snug fit. However, laces often come loose while walking around. Therefore, to solve this problem, some manufacturers have introduced proprietary or mechanical lacing systems that basically operate the same as ski-boots, only these lacing systems provide more consistent stability, by preventing your laces from loosening or even coming undone while playing.
Another good alternative to laces is velcro. Velcro is a great fastening method that also makes golf shoes look more casual and appealing.
Materials: Synthetic, Leather, etc.
Manufacturers have developed many new materials over the years for both the outsole and upper of golf shoes to ensure they are waterproof and have more stability and comfort.
One of the most popular choices for making golf shoes — and the more expensive as well — is leather as it is the most breathable. The leather is processed and added to the shoe’s exterior to create a tight-fitting, stretch-free, comfortable, waterproof shoe.
Using man-made upper synthetics is a cheaper alternative to leather as it is thinner and lighter. Nonporous polyester is spread over the shoe to protect its outer shell, but it doesn’t provide much breathability.
While some manufacturers have their own versions, Gore-Tex is the top material used for waterproof linings as it is substantially thicker and also breathable, making it extremely water-resistant and a great choice for winter play.
Spiked or spikeless
With the help of modern technology, traditionally spiked golf shoes have been upgraded. Now you can get lightweight and water-resistant golf shoes that deliver stability, traction, breathability, comfort, and style to help get your game on.
In addition, spiked shoes can help you swing better since they have a better grip and the upper is more stable. They are a great choice for wet conditions and playing hilly courses.
Spikeless golf shoes are usually flat-soled and lightweight with dimpled soles or rubber studs instead of standard golf spikes. However, they have less waterproofing, gripping, and stability, especially in long wet grass. Shoes that feel comfortable and have good stability are the best golf shoes to get.
Best Spikeless Golf Shoes Reviewed
These pro golf shoes provide ultimate comfort and feel as they are designed for extreme stability both on and off the course with a perimeter weighted outsole and the supple cushioning of Fine Tuned Foam (FTF).
Footjoy has been a leader of PGA tour pro golf shoes for over 60 years. They provide golf footwear, gloves, and accessories with superior comfort and performance for all golfers young and old, from beginners to pros for an outstanding on-course experience.
- Made of 100 percent textile for durability and comfort
- Exceptional Stability: The perimeter weighted outsole offers added lightweight comfort and extreme stability.
- Laser Plus Fit: The Laser Plus Fit provides standard fit across instep and forefoot, a slightly narrow heel, and full rounded toe character. Moreover, for enhanced comfort, the underfoot cushioning is increased with thicker insoles
- Performance Leather: Chromo Skin leather is a lightweight, supple, 100 percent waterproof, durable leather developed by Pittards of England
- Versatile Traction: A 3-piece outsole that combines a TPU molded sole for good traction with blends of Fine Tune Foam (FTF) for the perfect — Wear-to-the-course versatility outsole — that will help you to perform better.
- A two year, 100% waterproof warranty with normal use
- They have laces which can loosen during play
- Heels are slightly narrow
- Can be difficult to keep clean
Whether you are approaching the green or strolling around waiting for your turn, these ECCO Tri-Fi-Grip golf shoes will prove to be a great benefit with three different zones; one for rotation, one for durability, and another for stability.
BIOM Hybrid 3’s innovative outsole will help you follow through with technology that enables power efficiency, natural walking motion, and enhanced stability.
This award-winning European Shoe Company was founded in 1963 in Denmark, and today ECCO has factories throughout Asia and Europe. They produce their own leather used for making their golf shoes while taking care to protect the environment and their only aim is to make comfortable shoes to walk and play in.
- Made with textile and Leather for outstanding comfort and durability
- GORE-TEX Waterproof technology that combines element protection with optimized breathability.
- YAK leather uppers that are lightweight and extremely strong for increased durability and breathability.
- BOA closure system that ensures an ideal fit, easy adjustments mid-round, and quick lacing.
- ECCO Tri-Fi-Grip has three different zones for maximum traction – Rotational, durability, and stability support
- Anti-microbial Orth lite inlay sole for enhanced breathability and long-term cushioning as well as an extra-width removable option.
- Can fit somewhat narrow for some people
- The material inside can loosen very easily
- Style can be unappealing to some
- The heels feel a bit firm
The Adidas Men’s Tour360XT SL are designed for comfort with a premium stylish look, especially for the golf course.
These Adidas golf shoes are made with microfiber and leather, synthetic upper and a Boost midsole for responsive cushioning that will last through your round. Climastorm tech provides you with breathable protection in wet conditions.
- Synthetic for maximum durability
- Microfiber and leather, synthetic upper for maximum comfort
- X-Traxion primary lugs for balance and grip
- Spikeless Puremotion outsole for enhanced flexibility
- Full-grain leather heel lining for durability and fit
- 360Wrap supports the foot and locks in
- Torsion X bar provides stability
- INSITE Sockliner for balance and fit
- Breathable, water-repellent Climastorm upper
- A bit wide on the soles
- Can feel a little bouncy when walking
- Sizing seems to vary from shoe to shoe
- The arch support is really noticeable
- They tend to roll more than the average golf shoe as they don’t have much lead foot support
This pair of Nike golf shoes have an iconic design and provide long-lasting support.
These stylish golf shoes are inspired by a Nike icon and feature pressure-mapped outsole for traction in key zones. The foam midsole cushions offer soft, flexibility with every step, while the mesh upper provides a modern style look and breathability.
- Synthetic fabric for maximum durability
- Foam sole for comfort
- Cupsole-like design for a stable feel and low-profile, flexible support
- Injected midsole delivers soft and lightweight cushioning
- Traction in key zones with a pressure-mapped outsole
- Style and breathability with an iconic mesh upper
- Elastic gusset on the tongue helps to keep debris out
- Easy off and on by pulling tabs on the tongue and heel
- Hard to keep clean
- Not good for wet conditions
- They are very narrow
- The spikes wear out quickly
Puma Men’s Ignite NXT Pro golf shoes are very stylish and built from the ground up with organically altered traction pattern pro form TPU outsole, a full length ignites foam midsole wrapped in a sole shield for added durability.
These shoes add energy, return, and awesome comfort to help you feel great during a whole 18-hole game. Featuring decoupled PWRCAGE pieces for a secure fit and PWRFRAME reinforcement upper with waterproof flat-knit mesh vamp. Together the innovative features add power to every game you play.
- Textile and Synthetic for maximum comfort and durability
- Soleshield tech provides durability and comfort
- Synthetic sole
- Waterproof Mesh keeps feet dry
- Ignite Foam for outstanding comfort
- Organic Traction for great stability
- Although they are waterproof, they take some time to dry out after getting wet
- The sizes run larger than regular sized golf shoes
- The eyes for the laces are not reinforced so they may tear fast
Our Choice For The Best Spikeless Golf Shoe
Our choice for the best spikeless golf shoes are the Puma Ignite NXT Lace for a number of reasons, but especially for looks as they are a stylish, classy looking shoe that caught our eye at first glance. Personally, I would wear them off the golf course as well.
Besides the sophisticated looking color and the gold Puma logo on the side of the shoe, I also like that these golf shoes have the new innovative sole-shield technology that makes the shoes always stay fit, snug, and easy to take off and put on. In addition, the height of the heel is another great feature to me since it will make me more than an inch taller ; ). They are also equipped with waterproof mesh and ignite foam for comfort while the price is very affordable.
While I really like some of the other styles in the list as well, none include all the features that are most valuable or stand out to me like the Puma Ignite NXT Lace golf shoes. Although the FootJoy Pro/SL golf shoes came very close, the heels may be too narrow for my wide feet.
Best Spiked Golf Shoes Reviewed
The Footjoy Icon golf shoes are a mix of premium materials and first-class craftsmanship that results in the best spiked golf shoes, made especially to stand up to any course.
They come in both wide width or narrow to ensure the narrow fit snug and the extra-wide provide you with plenty of room for high performance.
Luxurious calfskin leather uppers provide unparalleled beauty, great fit, and resistance to stretching. This premium full-grain soft leather promotes outstanding waterproof comfort, durability, and breathability. Furthermore, FJ warrants this golf shoe as 100 percent waterproof during normal use for two years.
- Leather design for premium fit and looks
- Synthetic sole provides good durability
- Memory Foam is located around the collar and on the tongue for extra added comfort and a custom fit.
- Leather inserts built right into the TPU outsole combining for a modern look with timeless performance.
- Modified fashion toe with slightly narrow heels, and standard fit across the instep and forefoot.
- They come in a plain box that makes you questions if they are high quality
- There is no cork insole as expected, instead, it’s a very thin paper that doesn’t cover the whole foot, only the heel
- The cushion inside may be soft but doesn’t offer much support
Under Armour Men’s Spieth 3 golf shoes were engineered specifically for Major Champion Jordan Spieth and is a step up from the Spieth 2 premium golf shoes.
Lower your handicap with a powerful hitting platform of lightweight stability and signature rotational resistance, traction control™ grips. The keys to harnessing the power of the course are in the shoes you wear.
Featuring low-profile flexibility and support for precision control and a pinnacle feel along with UA Storm™ Technology to keep moisture away so your feet can stay dry.
- A lightweight, waterproof membrane and breathable, Clarino® microfiber upper to keep you cool & dry
- New, UA Rotational Resistance (RST 2.0) lower profile & Softspike™ Silver Tornado spikes for all-day comfort and lockdown horizontal traction.
- Heel counter and smart-woven forefoot panel for biomechanically correct lightweight comfort and foot support
- Synthetic and Textile Sole for maximum durability
- Support from the ground up and strategically placed cushioning as well as the integrated footbed insole, midsole, and outsole that offers ultimate vertical traction
- Integrated lacing system that provides a locked-in fit
- 2 Year Limited Waterproof Warranty
- Strategically placed carbon fiber insert with Low-profile TPU outsole provides lateral stability for a swing with more precision.
- The tongue of the shoes can sometimes fall to the outside
- They have a very narrow fit
- Hard to find replacement cleats
- Difficult to keep clean
Adidas Men’s Tour 360 EQT premium spiked golf shoes feature the innovative advanced BOA closure system with ip1 incremental push and pull, a structure conveniently located at the top lateral eye for added customizable micro adjustability.
- Synthetic and Leather for great comfort and durability
- Innovative use of a BOA closure system that allows you to tighten and secure both the SPRINT SKIN 360wrap areas and the collar simultaneously for unmatched stability and a customized fit.
- Climaproof technology and Premium microfiber leather upper for a soft, comfortable feel and a rich look.
- Updated bottom unit with new TPU top plate that wraps higher in the heel and saddle for increased performance and stability.
- Torsion tunnel provides control between the forefoot and heel along with independent flexibility while offering improved green friendliness and enhanced arch support.
- Does not come in wide wide sizes
- Spikes seem to come loose easily
- Can almost feel too tight at times.
- The area around the heel is very stiff
- They run a bit on the large side
The Nike Golf Tour Premiere’s Men’s Golf Shoes helps you stay focused on your game with FastFit lockdown, stable footing, and waterproof construction.
After reading the instructions and getting them all laced up, you will enjoy the comfort and snug fit of these stylish looking golf shoes that give them the feel of traditional athletic shoes.
- The quick-pull top strap offers secure lockdown while pulling the red tab loosens the closure when your round is over.
- Removable CHAMP Zarma Tour spikes with TPU outsole that helps to secure traction on the course.
- When water hazards or the weather gets in your way, the waterproof construction will help your feet stay dry.
- Two-year waterproof guarantee
- Not very user-friendly when it comes to lacing them up
- They run very small
- Styling can be very unappealing to some
These New Balance golf shoes are designed with a waterproof microfiber leather upper to help your feet stay dry, a REVlite midsole for unmatched responsiveness, champ slim-Lok Zarma tour® replaceable cleats, and cushioning to allow you to tackle the greens even at the toughest courses.
- Leather & synthetic for both comfort and durability
- TPU outsole is designed for moving your feet with a natural motion to provide maximum comfort
- Ultralight FantomFit support
- 8mm Rapid Rebound sock liner that offers superior comfort
- REVlite 10mm drop midsole offers premium responsiveness and lightweight cushioning
- Waterproof microfiber leather upper
- 2-year waterproof warranty
- Cleats are very hard to replace, especially hard removing them when they break
- The heel slips even after lacing them up tightly
- They run small in size
Our Choice for the Best Spiked Golf Shoe
Our pick for the best spiked golf shoe is the New Balance NB Tour.
Not only do they have a clean and simple design, but they contain all the features that are important to me, such as waterproof microfiber and leather, along with rubber soles which ensure my feet stay dry during play on rainy days. Finally the combination of the REVlite midsole that provides lightweight cushioning, the Rapid Rebound sock liner, and TPU drop midsole that moves with foot motion provide superior comfort while walking or standing.